Last week was a busy schedule for the Marching Tigers, we had a great week and accomplished so much. Before we begin covering details surrounding this week, please note that this Friday's away game is against Gahanna hosted at Thomas Worthington High School. See address listed below the timeline.
Today's FYI will cover:
- music check protocol
- uniform update
- Friday timeline
- Parent volunteers
There have been many questions regarding music checks lately. We do ask members of the band to pass a very basic memorization check of notes and rhythms. This is checking comprehension and execution at its most basic form. We simply check for correct notes and rhythms. Students are NOT given a letter grade until they have passed the check. At that point students are given an A. We do ask students to help clean and pick-up the band room if a music check is not passed. This is a tangible consequence for not passing and motivation to get the assignment covered.
We will be wearing full fall uniforms this Friday. For the most part uniforms last Friday went smoothly. There were a few things we observed on Friday that can be caught at home.
- Shoes need to be clean and white
- When we are wearing purple pants, students need to wear LONG black socks. We had many ankle socks which led to not passing uniform inspection.
- The marching band "bibber's" have snap hems inside the bottom of each pant leg. Most students needed to pull up their snap hems in order to create a cleaner look.
Continue to please make sure your student is passing uniform inspections by:
- wearing clean white marching shoes
- clean, long black socks
- show shirt under the uniform
- hair up and in the hat (when the hat is on)
- neutral nail colors, ear rings/piercings and headbands.
- clean white gloves (when required)
Friday Night Timeline
3:10 - Dress rehearsal on band practice field
4:10 - Dismiss. Load semi trailer, eat, change into full uniform. (We will load by having students rotate through the trailer)
5:15 - Load busses (no bus swapping)
6:15 - Arrive at Thomas Worthington High School*
7:00 - Kick-off
9:45 - Load and depart for PHSC
10:45 - Arrive at PHSC
* Gahanna HS is in the process of renovating their facilities. Their stadium has been demolished and will be playing football games at neutral sites for the next few years. The address for TWHS is:
300 W Dublin Granville Rd
Parent Volunteers for Friday
Robin & Kevin Saionzkowski (nurse)
Chris Hartung (truck help only)
Jay & Ann Brandt
Heidi Jennings (uniforms)
Amy Menke (uniforms)
Mr. Stowe is Director of Bands at Pickerington High School Central. He's in his 10th year of teaching in Pickerington and 18th year of his career. Mr. Stowe holds two Bachelors degrees in Music Education and Performance from Capital University and a Masters of Music from the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.