It's an exciting time to be a Tiger! Many details have been clarified and I appreciate everyone for being patient. Please read through this entire document to gather all the necessary info regarding Friday's game in New Philadelphia.
Practice on Thursday
Due to the distance we must travel on Friday we have to schedule an additional after school practice for Friday. We will be practicing on Thursday from 3:15-4:15. It's going to warm up and be very nice on Thursday. Please make time for this added rehearsal.
The band will be wearing their full purple uniform. There is no need for rain coats and no need to wear additional winter weather hats. We witnessed a few students not wearing proper socks or shoes last week. Students must be in the proper black socks and white shoes. Keep in mind, students are responsible for their uniform pieces. Uniform moms can help with issues regarding uniform pieces, but they can not help if you have forgotten uniform parts when we travel! You are the only person who is responsible for your uniform pieces.
Bussing expectations and protocols
Student bus assignments will be made based on sections and seat availability. I have preassigned everyone in advance due to the timing of the event. There will be zero bus jumping or switching to different busses. Student's can find their bus assignment on the Google Classroom and posted in the band room on Wednesday. Everyone will be expected to follow these rules on the busses:
- All students and chaperones must wear a mask at all time.
- All Students and chaperones must remain 1 person to a seat.
- There are to be no drinks other than water on the buses.
- The Peterman bus company has a policy of no food or drink on the bus. Please adhere to this.
- No audible music. Use headphones.
- Be courteous and kind. chaperones are instructed to let us know of any incidences of disrespectful behavior.
The booster club will be purchasing pizza and a drink for the members of the band during the 3rd quarter. Thank you boosters for doing this! Cohort B students might want to plan for an afternoon snack after school.
3:00 Equipment Loading finishes.
3:30 Student report
4:00 Busses Arrive/Load buses
- Students with smaller instruments carry onto the bus. Mellophones and smaller on bus.
6:15 Arrive at Quaker Stadium in New Philadelphia, Ohio. (Not the High School)
- Students and chaperones will be dropped off at the stadium.
- Do not leave valuables on the bus.
- Students must unload the bus in uniform w/ instrument in hand if applicable.
TBD Load Equipment
- Busses roll to pick-up students and chaperones at the stadium
TBD Student sends text to confirm ETA to PHSC.
TBD Student's are picked up by parent/guardian/ride.
- It will be a very late arrival time back to PHSC. Make the appropriate plans to pick-up.
Many thanks goes out to New Philadelphia for being great hosts. Both their band director and athletic director attended my site inspection this morning. It's always good when a host says, "How can we help you make this work for the kids?"
With that said, the physical limitations of the away bleachers in the stadium do not allow for any family tickets for our band parents. We realized this may be a disappointment to some, however, we must focus on the fact that we managed to make this opportunity possible for the kids in the band! Please keep a healthy perspective on this and find unique ways to support the band and team. Our game will be televised again this Friday. I will be sure to share this information as I obtain it!
Mr. Stowe is Director of Bands at Pickerington High School Central. He's in his 8th year of teaching in Pickerington and 16th year of his career. Mr. Stowe holds two Bachelors degrees in Music Education and Performance from Capital University and a Masters of Music from the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.