Marching Tiger families!
Good afternoon, I'd like to take a moment to share with you the information regarding Large Group contest this Friday night.
We are changing our dress for contest this year. Don't worry, the students know. We will wear ALL BLACK. Meaning no one should wear a white shirt. Students should wear black shoes, socks, pants/dress and a black shirt. No color at all! Parents please help me make sure that our ladies in the band are wearing an appropriate length dress, it needs to be well passed the knee when sitting down. (they are going to be elevated on a stage, I don't want this to hinder proper posture or make students uncomfortable while performing. Also please help our young ladies know that they need to keep their shoulders covered. We want the attention to be on the music and not anything else!
This will be the first time some of our parents have been to large group contest. Parents and family are more than welcome to attend! However, there are a few OMEA rules/oddities you need to know about before hand.
1. There is no video or audio recording allowed. Just keep your phones away during the performance and we will be fine.
2. There will be judges close by who are talking into microphones. They are not being rude, they are giving us critical feedback that will help us improve and justify their rating of our performance.
3. Once in the auditorium you may not leave until we have finished performing. Conversely, the door monitors will not let you enter late once the doors have closed.
4. NEW THIS YEAR - after our performance we will keep the band on stage for a quick photo. You are more than welcome to take photos of your own at this time!
5. After the band performs on stage we then go to sight-reading. This is where the bands have to play a piece of music for a judge with only 8 minutes of timed study. Family and friends are not allowed in the sight reading room.
As always, keep in mind this is a concert and not a sporting event. We love it when you are excited but make sure there is no "shout-outs" or excessively loud yelling and screaming.
Teays Valley High School
3887 State Route 752
Ashville, Ohio 43103
Once on campus follow the signs for spectator parking and spectator signs once in the building. If I recall correctly there will be signs that point you in the direction of the auditorium. There is no admission fee to attend the concert but feel free to visit the cafeteria for refreshments.
The spreadsheet below outlines the timelines for both the Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble.
The Symphonic band is highlighted in green and the Wind Ensemble is highlighted in light blue.
I'm looking forward for a great night! Please feel free to email any additional questions you might have.
Leave a Reply.
Mr. Stowe is Director of Bands at Pickerington High School Central. He's in his 9th year of teaching in Pickerington and 17th year of his career. Mr. Stowe holds two Bachelors degrees in Music Education and Performance from Capital University and a Masters of Music from the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.