Boosters & Students,
We had a fantastic, memorable performance in Ohio stadium this past Saturday! We finished the highest we have ever placed and due to some rules changes within OMEA were able to see some fantastic bands from the BOA circuit. Performing in Ohio Stadium is always a memorable experience and this year was no exception. As always I want to thank those who helped make it possible, it is much appreciated.
I do want to clear up some rumors that have been floating around since Saturday.
- There is no district policy that states there must be 3 chaperones per bus.
- There is no district policy that states that there needs to be a board approved nurse on the trip. It is what I feel is most beneficial for kids.
- The entire band staff is trained in basic first-aid as well as other district employee's on each trip. In the event of ANY type of injury or illness chaperones need to inform members of the staff, period. Nothing is to withheld from the staff, ever.
-We did have a student who became ill due to temperature and nerves before the performance and was seen by the OSU paramedic in the south-east tunnel of Ohio Stadium. OSU still did a great job making sure the student was good before dismissing them to the band on the west sideline.
Information for Friday:
Despite the hot weather we are currently experiencing Friday's high is 30 degree's cooler! Students must understand that denim jeans are not appropriate to wear under the uniform. They will destroy the seams on the inside of the uniform pants and hang below the hemline of the uniform pants. It will be cool but not so cold that winter hats are necessary. If we make it into the playoffs and weather becomes extreme then we will lift the dress code to allow for neutral warm hats etc.
There isn't much to be said here other than thank you for keeping the cove area outside the band room free and open for students to safely unload equipment and move around. Continue to help us keep this area safe for our kids.
4:00 Load Equipment (Front ensemble can start right after school)
4:30 Walk-through of football game show W/O instruments.
5:15 Band Buses depart for GLHS
6:00 Arrive @ GLHS
6:45 In the stands
Reminder that Saturday is a "Contest White" performance. We are getting better about jewelry! Please keep in mind that earrings needs to be small, neutral and understated. If earrings can be removed without causing personal harm we ask you to do so. Fingernails must be clear and or neutral.
Releasing students to Parents while not at PHSC
Parents are allowed to check-out students at the end of a contest. We ask that all parents do the following.
- Send your student with a note stating you are checking your child out early after the show.
- Give the note to the chaperone for the attendance folder.
- Find a Director before leaving so that we can confirm that the student is leaving with a parent or guardian.
- None of the staff will dismiss a student into the custody of anyone who is not the legal guardian or parent. This is to ensure student safety. There will be no exceptions to this.
10:00 Report to field for a run-through
12:00 Depart for CWHS
12:30 Arrive @ CWHS
4:00 Load buses and depart
4:30 Arrive @PHSC
Chaperone info will be announced in the morning after we collect any last minute availability. All level 2 volunteers can submit their availability to PHSCbandbooster@gmail.com
Mr. Stowe is Director of Bands at Pickerington High School Central. He's in his 8th year of teaching in Pickerington and 16th year of his career. Mr. Stowe holds two Bachelors degrees in Music Education and Performance from Capital University and a Masters of Music from the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.